Skip to main content

Home sick

Today is my first day of a little home-sickness. It isn't horrible, just don't feel like going outside. I was told this was going to happen but it still isn't the greatest feeling. It's funny how our body and emotions react to change. I think its first response is survival, surprise, and adventure. I am still in that phase. I have enjoyed seeing everything being so different, and hearing people talk in a language that doesn't seem to make sense. There are so many things to experience and take in, it can get overwhelming. Knowing that I am prone to having negative thoughts towards things that are different than what I do or to change, I told myself that I was going to focus on the neat things about China. This has worked out well and has helped me maintain a positive attitude. Such as:
- The kids are just SO dang cute!
- The food is healthy ( for the most part)
- They drive normal cars
- The Wu-mart (aka walmart-ish) has a lot of items I can read and want
- They love exercise and community
These are just a few of the things I have observed that make me feel comfortable here. Now, on the other hand there are a lot of things I just have to laugh at. I can tell that in a few months they might be harder to deal with.
- The dirt....everywhere
- The fact that you guys are sleeping when I am awake
- The food is good, but all seems a bit odd
- I don't own a car, nor would I want to drive one here! But taking subways and buses is different.
I don't want to paint a horrible picture, I just want to share with you things that I am experiencing. You can be lifting me up in those ways!
I am going to attempt to get some videos posted on here. They won't be edited by any means, but will show you a little bit of life here that pictures don't do justice :) I miss you all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not a Monk

How does someone know the Father has “called” them to something? I have always wondered what people had to do in order for them to be called or spoken to by the creator himself. I figured you had to be a monk or a pastor of some sort.             I remember when Jeremy and I were engaged and in pre-marriage counseling. Our pastor, of course, had to bring up China. This was a topic of so many discussions. Will we go back? (Probably a no) Do you want to go? (Definite no) Do you feel like the father would have you stay here in Evansville? (Yes, that is correct) I was not being “called “ to China. Nor did I feel like that was in my future.             I have always known that the Lord has made my heart special and that I felt as if he was going to do something different through me than an average young adult. I never knew what that was, but always felt that deep inside. After one...

Home Sweet Home

The time has finally come to reveal what you all have been longing for......our home! I really wish I had taken before pictures, so you could see what all we did to the place. Here is the result of all our creativity and shopping trips back and forth from store to store. We don't have any decorations up yet, just the main necessity things...but soon I hope to add some color with pillows, art, and some throw blankets!!

First Day of School

First Day of School. The same nerves that run through everyone on their first day of school were kicking in as I walked up the stairs to room 203. I have never taught at a college level before, I definitely have not taught Chinese. Would they like me? Would they be able to understand? All these worries and thoughts were flying around my brain, but within an instant the madness stopped! As I let go of Jeremy's hand and stepped foot into my classroom, I was immediately filled with peace and joy! Their smiling faces and eager hearts just makes you melt :) I greeted the 10 or so students who arrived early and then began writing on the chalk board. It may be messy, but writing on a chalk board is totally teacher and made my day. The first class went well, it was a little bumpy but for the most part my lesson was accomplished and the students left smiling. As that class left, the second arrived and I started all over. This time with a passion and a confidence. I loved Teaching! ...