Skip to main content

Mr. Monk

It is not very often that Jeremy and I would both agree to watch a TV show, but this quirky detective has captured our attention. On date nights we find ourselves coming home early so we can fit in a Monk episode. In one of the recent shows monk was trying to be “normal”. He had flash cards to help him with small talk and he learned the about sports and slang. It always ended where when he walked away from the people/person he was talking with, they would giggle. He would make a comment to his assistant, “That dreaded giggle, it happens every time”. For the first time, I actually understood Monk! Here it is the same way. Everywhere I walk, after you are done talking, teaching, or shopping there are always giggles. This is something that at first, was wonderful because you feel famous and pretty. But after awhile you begin to just want to fit in. Throughout the episode Monk found a group of people he worked with who accepted him and thought he was “normal”. He ate it up! Unfortunately, his true self showed through near the end, and as he was walking out of his short-lived job, all his “friends” began to giggle. I have come to the understanding that the Chinese giggles aren’t mean. They are interested and love seeing someone who doesn’t have black hair and dark eyes. This will always fascinate them. It helps knowing not all of them are just laughing at me. Although, like monk, he for a bit of time, fit in and found out in the end, that because he is Monk, he won’t really fit in in that kind of setting. I, because I am Tama, won’t ever be Chinese. I highly doubt Mr. Monk would ever be able to survive in China but it is fun to know we do have something in common. ☺

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pick mine!!

Marry my daughter please. She is 25 and successful at her career. 5" 1' and 90 pounds. Smart, knows Chinese, English, Japanese, and German. Plays Violin, piano, and owns a car. Sound like a newspaper add? Its because it is. The paper and flyers you see here are from parents and grandparents trying to find their son and daughters spouses! These are people carefully picking their selections. I couldn't believe it....but what was crazy is that this went on throughout the whole park. I mean thousands of adds everywhere. I wasn't sure what I should think about it....but i found it very intriguing. How would you like for your parents to go the park every weekend to try to sell you to those who passed by?  

A bear stole my seat

I was on the subway heading to a birthday party for a teammate when all of a sudden a huge teddy bear came walking in. I soon found out, that there was a lady behind the bear. I couldn't contain myself. I had to be a tourist at this moment. I laughed whipped out my camera and capture this image of "China" for you all. I am sure subways in New York are crazy too, but people watching at a subway in China could be a full time job!

Dancing in the park

Last night was a lot of fun! We had mexican....it wasn't Los Bravos, but it was a nice break from garlic! :) We walked home from dinner and what happened from there was a blast. In America after dinner, for the most part, we sit on the couch and watch TV. In China, TOTALLY different. The evening is where it all takes place. Everyone is out and about. Walking through the parks,talking and playing games on the street corners. The street food is grilling and the air is full of laughter, horns, and music! I love it here at night! The sense of community is something westerners should be envious of! As we walked home we passed many parks. In the parks are walkers, people doing Tai-chi, and women dancing!We normally walk by taking pictures, but as we walked by the last park we could not help but hear,"HOOP there it is"!!! We stopped dead in our tracks, gave our bags to the husbands and ran to join all the women in their evening exercise! This was SO much fun! Of course we look