Skip to main content

GAPS Diet

some of the essentials
Mixed emotions swirled in my head. This makes so much sense. This is going to help. This is insane! Who in their right mind would ever willingly do this?!
To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. Even if I did manage the will power and the self-control to attempt this venture, how could I actually find everything needed?

organic eggs and ghee
The GAPS diet. 
The book describes how our gut is designed and goes into detail about the bacteria that lives inside it. There are many chapters explaining how the imbalance of bad bacteria and not enough good bacteria can cause inflammation in the gut lining. The gut lining plays an essential part, therefore if it is leaking or weakened, can cause many other problems, including inflammation of the brain. The book mentions how autism, ADHD, and depression can actually be related to this gut originating problem.

The big picture about the diet is this: take out anything that may attack or be difficult on the digestive system. (Grains, sugars, fiber, sugar, beans, wheat, and most dairy products) Then focus on building up the gut lining with good bacteria and healthy fats. There are two parts of the diet. The introduction diet, which consists of 6 stages, and the Full Diet.
The introduction diet is a process. Starting with a very limited diet ( boiled meats and veggies and stock) then gradually adding things back in.  Once you have made it through the introduction diet, which could take months, you then remain on the Full GAPS diet for the remainder of the time.

China. This was my biggest obstacle. How do I find all of the items needed? Even if China does have them, they are most likely in Chinese and/or really expensive.


This is a list of some things needed
It took me a little over a month to figure out what all I could find in China. 

I needed organic chicken and eggs.
The Father provided a brother, who owned an organic farm. He was willing to sell me both chicken and eggs for a discounted price!

I needed fresh milk.
I found a farmer willing to sell me the raw milk!

I needed supplements, probiotics, vitamins, and fermenting starters. Yogurt machines, collagen and gelatin.
My amazing mother and friends all took turns shipping me or hand delivering items to my house!

Once I had stocked up. I then had to figure out how we were actually going to do this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pick mine!!

Marry my daughter please. She is 25 and successful at her career. 5" 1' and 90 pounds. Smart, knows Chinese, English, Japanese, and German. Plays Violin, piano, and owns a car. Sound like a newspaper add? Its because it is. The paper and flyers you see here are from parents and grandparents trying to find their son and daughters spouses! These are people carefully picking their selections. I couldn't believe it....but what was crazy is that this went on throughout the whole park. I mean thousands of adds everywhere. I wasn't sure what I should think about it....but i found it very intriguing. How would you like for your parents to go the park every weekend to try to sell you to those who passed by?  

A bear stole my seat

I was on the subway heading to a birthday party for a teammate when all of a sudden a huge teddy bear came walking in. I soon found out, that there was a lady behind the bear. I couldn't contain myself. I had to be a tourist at this moment. I laughed whipped out my camera and capture this image of "China" for you all. I am sure subways in New York are crazy too, but people watching at a subway in China could be a full time job!

Dancing in the park

Last night was a lot of fun! We had mexican....it wasn't Los Bravos, but it was a nice break from garlic! :) We walked home from dinner and what happened from there was a blast. In America after dinner, for the most part, we sit on the couch and watch TV. In China, TOTALLY different. The evening is where it all takes place. Everyone is out and about. Walking through the parks,talking and playing games on the street corners. The street food is grilling and the air is full of laughter, horns, and music! I love it here at night! The sense of community is something westerners should be envious of! As we walked home we passed many parks. In the parks are walkers, people doing Tai-chi, and women dancing!We normally walk by taking pictures, but as we walked by the last park we could not help but hear,"HOOP there it is"!!! We stopped dead in our tracks, gave our bags to the husbands and ran to join all the women in their evening exercise! This was SO much fun! Of course we look