Skip to main content

Super Hero, Waitress, and China


Once you make a decision to move to China….what do you do next? That is a question that has been consuming my tiny brain for the past 2 months. I am moving to China. Never would have guessed that those words would be able to be put together in one sentence let alone, something I would be saying and actually doing.

When in kindergarten on career day my hopes in life were set high when I came dressed in an apron, with a plastic cup taped to one of my mothers cookie sheets. Waiting tables was indeed my dream job. It was something about helping people, serving others, and the fact that you got to write orders down in that little black book, that really inspired me. All throughout my life I have known one thing about myself. I love being able to help others. Some call that a people pleaser, a “yes” person, or someone with a very big heart. I would say all those in some way shape or form, have truth in my life.

 The summer of my sophomore year my childhood dream came true. I owned my own black apron that not only came with a nifty Lone star pin, but was also accessorized with the infamous black book. Taking orders, talking with customers, and being able to make someone’s experience special, made my job wonderful. For a kindergartener, I was pretty dead on!

The good book mentions that we are to live with child like faith. You often hear adults stating they wished they could be a kid again. Back in the day they didn’t have to worry, didn’t have the responsibility, didn’t have stress, but rather, had time to play, imagine, and grow. There is truth in that. I often find myself playing super hero’s with my nephews rather than being mature and sipping wine at the adult table. I believe this is not only because I love kids, especially ones I am related to, but because being around children is refreshing. Their out look on life is real. Their minds are not hindered by the world’s harsh ways, they are focused, they have all the time in the world to be with you and listen to you.

Its times like this in my life that makes me wonder what Dad was meaning when he told us to have child like faith. Times where I feel pretty helpless and needy, Times where I feel like a kid. Obviously I am not a kid, I am not currently a waitress either if anyone was wondering. Saying that I am going to move to China to teach English is similar to playing super heros. I have to fly, I imagine but can’t actually see where the people are I have to save, I will have to use a secret code or language, and I am pretty sure I will get to see some cool ninja moves. It is scary trusting Dad with your life, but isn’t that what kids do everyday? They rely on their parents to provide for their needs and show comfort and love wherever they are. They challenge us to use our imagination and to not put life in a box, but rather adventure out and be willing to do whatever comes our way.

Child like faith isn’t really that hard to understand its just our sinful nature and the evil ways of the world that have helped us in forgetting or neglecting what faith in Dad really looks like in our own lives.
This is my journey as a super hero trying my best to live a child like faith and follow the path Dad as set before me. My plan is to allow you to journey along side and hopefully see an example lived out and be able to be challenged, informed, or able to relate to what I will be going through. For now I haven’t perfected my super hero name or special talent, but hopefully one day it will be revealed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pick mine!!

Marry my daughter please. She is 25 and successful at her career. 5" 1' and 90 pounds. Smart, knows Chinese, English, Japanese, and German. Plays Violin, piano, and owns a car. Sound like a newspaper add? Its because it is. The paper and flyers you see here are from parents and grandparents trying to find their son and daughters spouses! These are people carefully picking their selections. I couldn't believe it....but what was crazy is that this went on throughout the whole park. I mean thousands of adds everywhere. I wasn't sure what I should think about it....but i found it very intriguing. How would you like for your parents to go the park every weekend to try to sell you to those who passed by?  

A bear stole my seat

I was on the subway heading to a birthday party for a teammate when all of a sudden a huge teddy bear came walking in. I soon found out, that there was a lady behind the bear. I couldn't contain myself. I had to be a tourist at this moment. I laughed whipped out my camera and capture this image of "China" for you all. I am sure subways in New York are crazy too, but people watching at a subway in China could be a full time job!

Dancing in the park

Last night was a lot of fun! We had mexican....it wasn't Los Bravos, but it was a nice break from garlic! :) We walked home from dinner and what happened from there was a blast. In America after dinner, for the most part, we sit on the couch and watch TV. In China, TOTALLY different. The evening is where it all takes place. Everyone is out and about. Walking through the parks,talking and playing games on the street corners. The street food is grilling and the air is full of laughter, horns, and music! I love it here at night! The sense of community is something westerners should be envious of! As we walked home we passed many parks. In the parks are walkers, people doing Tai-chi, and women dancing!We normally walk by taking pictures, but as we walked by the last park we could not help but hear,"HOOP there it is"!!! We stopped dead in our tracks, gave our bags to the husbands and ran to join all the women in their evening exercise! This was SO much fun! Of course we look