Skip to main content

Day 2: have an egg

I heard before coming here that  China was a gift giving culture. I wasn't sure what that meant exactly. The people were just extra generous? They had more holidays? It wasn't until last semester that I began to get a bigger picture of the meaning. Every time students come over, they come with fruit to give us. When our neighbors had a baby, they gave everyone in our stairwell a gift box announcing the birth of their child. I caught on to those traditions and did the same if I went to someones house. However, this past Christmas I got deeper into the gift-giving saga,  more than I was ready for.
I took our fruit lady a bottle of wine and a scarf. To me it meant, "Merry Christmas, this is what we do in America" To her it meant " We are friends and now I owe you a gift." I had no idea they felt obligated to give something back. The next day as I went to buy my apples, she had a bag of gifts ready to give me. Lucy got a "cool" hat and some goodies.

I was then informed that when a gift is given you are expected to return the favor. So, I made some banana bread....she cooked me a fish....... I gave her some easter eggs on Easter....... she gave me a bag of free apples and Chinese food.....and so it continues.
Today as I went to buy eggs the lady said she was really grateful for me being a loyal costumer and decided to give me a free egg. I don't know what kind of egg it was....goose? I tried to reflect and not take it, mainly because I didn't know what it was or how to eat it, but also because its not a free gift. They will expect something in return. For my egg lady, it may not be her asking for a gift but to keep me returning to her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Sweet Home

The time has finally come to reveal what you all have been longing for......our home! I really wish I had taken before pictures, so you could see what all we did to the place. Here is the result of all our creativity and shopping trips back and forth from store to store. We don't have any decorations up yet, just the main necessity things...but soon I hope to add some color with pillows, art, and some throw blankets!!

First Day of School

First Day of School. The same nerves that run through everyone on their first day of school were kicking in as I walked up the stairs to room 203. I have never taught at a college level before, I definitely have not taught Chinese. Would they like me? Would they be able to understand? All these worries and thoughts were flying around my brain, but within an instant the madness stopped! As I let go of Jeremy's hand and stepped foot into my classroom, I was immediately filled with peace and joy! Their smiling faces and eager hearts just makes you melt :) I greeted the 10 or so students who arrived early and then began writing on the chalk board. It may be messy, but writing on a chalk board is totally teacher and made my day. The first class went well, it was a little bumpy but for the most part my lesson was accomplished and the students left smiling. As that class left, the second arrived and I started all over. This time with a passion and a confidence. I loved Teaching! ...

Not a Monk

How does someone know the Father has “called” them to something? I have always wondered what people had to do in order for them to be called or spoken to by the creator himself. I figured you had to be a monk or a pastor of some sort.             I remember when Jeremy and I were engaged and in pre-marriage counseling. Our pastor, of course, had to bring up China. This was a topic of so many discussions. Will we go back? (Probably a no) Do you want to go? (Definite no) Do you feel like the father would have you stay here in Evansville? (Yes, that is correct) I was not being “called “ to China. Nor did I feel like that was in my future.             I have always known that the Lord has made my heart special and that I felt as if he was going to do something different through me than an average young adult. I never knew what that was, but always felt that deep inside. After one...