Skip to main content

Property Couple



(Loud hammer) “ Tama, can you find a toggle bolt?”
 (high pitch drill) “Jeremy, what is a toggle bolt?”
(Screws falling) “ Never mind, can you hand me the saw?”

This summer while we spent time with family in Florida we were introduced to a new HGTV TV show, “Property Brothers”. We decided to take that show on the road, rename it and get some cooler hosts. Introducing “Property Couple” China style.
            Moving in to our new place I was most excited to set up our new kitchen. To our surprise we couldn’t store any of our food or supplies in the cabinets unless we wanted to cook with and eat mold. After a few weeks of trying to get by with what we had, we finally came to the conclusion that we no longer wanted to be afraid of our kitchen or smell the mold any longer. With some measurements, a trip to IKEA, and a hunky carpenter our new kitchen was in the making.
First step: Demolition. As I expected we knocked out the cabinets, pulled the counter tops, sink and stove out, and got dirty. What I did not expect and what they don’t show you in the TV shows is that it is gross. There is mold, mildew, and food from the 1800’s hiding.

Second step: Preparation (aka bleach party). Under the cabinets was exposed concrete and moldy tiles; we had to make sure to kill all mold and seal the concrete. Bleach and broom in hand we completed step 2.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Sweet Home

The time has finally come to reveal what you all have been longing for......our home! I really wish I had taken before pictures, so you could see what all we did to the place. Here is the result of all our creativity and shopping trips back and forth from store to store. We don't have any decorations up yet, just the main necessity things...but soon I hope to add some color with pillows, art, and some throw blankets!!

Not a Monk

How does someone know the Father has “called” them to something? I have always wondered what people had to do in order for them to be called or spoken to by the creator himself. I figured you had to be a monk or a pastor of some sort.             I remember when Jeremy and I were engaged and in pre-marriage counseling. Our pastor, of course, had to bring up China. This was a topic of so many discussions. Will we go back? (Probably a no) Do you want to go? (Definite no) Do you feel like the father would have you stay here in Evansville? (Yes, that is correct) I was not being “called “ to China. Nor did I feel like that was in my future.             I have always known that the Lord has made my heart special and that I felt as if he was going to do something different through me than an average young adult. I never knew what that was, but always felt that deep inside. After one...

First Day of School

First Day of School. The same nerves that run through everyone on their first day of school were kicking in as I walked up the stairs to room 203. I have never taught at a college level before, I definitely have not taught Chinese. Would they like me? Would they be able to understand? All these worries and thoughts were flying around my brain, but within an instant the madness stopped! As I let go of Jeremy's hand and stepped foot into my classroom, I was immediately filled with peace and joy! Their smiling faces and eager hearts just makes you melt :) I greeted the 10 or so students who arrived early and then began writing on the chalk board. It may be messy, but writing on a chalk board is totally teacher and made my day. The first class went well, it was a little bumpy but for the most part my lesson was accomplished and the students left smiling. As that class left, the second arrived and I started all over. This time with a passion and a confidence. I loved Teaching! ...