Skip to main content

English Corner

Picture 3 Americans in a sea of Chinese students. That is English Corner. We use this time to help students practice English but also to build relationships and deeper conversations with them. The past few weeks have been somewhat over-whelming because of the large group of people that are coming to "see the foreigners" but tonight was so much fun! About 6 of my students, one of Jeremy's students and 2 like-minded girls were in my group tonight. We had great conversations about their families, beliefs, and what they wanted to do after graduation. Then at the end they offered to show me their dorm rooms. After telling them I would love to....they literally jumped to grab my hands and arms and all 9 giggling girls walked me across campus! I love Chinese culture when it comes to friendship. They all held my hands and wrapped their arms around me....so excited that I would come to their room. It was humbling to see their small closets, mosquito nets covering their beds, and the fact that their were 6 girls to one room. At the same time it made me miss college life :) Tonight was the first night I felt like some great connections were made! The joy it brings me to know that I have been called to be here to give hope to these girls is so amazing...I am going to have a hard time going to bed tonight!

Comments

  1. Such a sweet story. Isn't this fun? :) Love hearing about it all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not a Monk

How does someone know the Father has “called” them to something? I have always wondered what people had to do in order for them to be called or spoken to by the creator himself. I figured you had to be a monk or a pastor of some sort.             I remember when Jeremy and I were engaged and in pre-marriage counseling. Our pastor, of course, had to bring up China. This was a topic of so many discussions. Will we go back? (Probably a no) Do you want to go? (Definite no) Do you feel like the father would have you stay here in Evansville? (Yes, that is correct) I was not being “called “ to China. Nor did I feel like that was in my future.             I have always known that the Lord has made my heart special and that I felt as if he was going to do something different through me than an average young adult. I never knew what that was, but always felt that deep inside. After one...

Home Sweet Home

The time has finally come to reveal what you all have been longing for......our home! I really wish I had taken before pictures, so you could see what all we did to the place. Here is the result of all our creativity and shopping trips back and forth from store to store. We don't have any decorations up yet, just the main necessity things...but soon I hope to add some color with pillows, art, and some throw blankets!!

First Day of School

First Day of School. The same nerves that run through everyone on their first day of school were kicking in as I walked up the stairs to room 203. I have never taught at a college level before, I definitely have not taught Chinese. Would they like me? Would they be able to understand? All these worries and thoughts were flying around my brain, but within an instant the madness stopped! As I let go of Jeremy's hand and stepped foot into my classroom, I was immediately filled with peace and joy! Their smiling faces and eager hearts just makes you melt :) I greeted the 10 or so students who arrived early and then began writing on the chalk board. It may be messy, but writing on a chalk board is totally teacher and made my day. The first class went well, it was a little bumpy but for the most part my lesson was accomplished and the students left smiling. As that class left, the second arrived and I started all over. This time with a passion and a confidence. I loved Teaching! ...